A single mother will often have to juggle many balls if she hopes to return to education. The biggest difficulty will likely be finance as a return to school is not usually cheap. Education is like an investment in the future, and it doesn’t pay out until after you have completed your studies. This can leave single parents in a catch 22 situation; they can’t get a good job that would help them pay for their education because of their qualifications and they can’t get an education because they don’t have the money for it. This can sometimes seem like a hopeless situation to be in but there are single parent school grants that may help.
What Are Single Parent Grants?
The situation that single parents find themselves in with regards to education is well known. The federal and local governments are aware of the problem and so are most colleges. For this reason there has been single parent school grants made available in the hope that these will help individuals deal with the financial burden of going back to school. It is appreciated that by helping these people get back into education it is not only helping them but also their children and society as a whole.
Here are just some of the grants that may be available for single parents;
- Individual colleges will often have scholarship programs for single parents. You will need to check to see what is available in the colleges near you or at least ones you wish to apply to.
- You will find that certain professions like nursing and teaching will have grants to help those from disadvantaged circumstances and single mothers or fathers may be entitled to apply.
- Obama’s Pell Grant may be an option. This is designed to encourage parents to go back to school; you may be able to get $5,000 to help towards fees.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is aimed at those students who are suffering particularly bad financial hardship.
- The Nursing Scholarship Program may be an option if you want to go to nursing school and you are prepared to work in a disadvantaged area for two years afterwards.
This is just a selection of what may be available to you. It is important that you do a bit of research so that you fully understand your options when it comes to applying for college grants for single mothers and fathers.
How to find if you are entitled to Single Parent School Grants
Many people fail to get grants for school because they have not fully investigated their options or decided that they weren’t entitled to anything even though they didn’t check. The fact is that many people who would be eligible for grants don’t apply for them. One reason for this is that the relevant information isn’t always so well advertised; you have to do a bit of legwork in order to find what is available to you.
Going online means that you can now quickly get a lot of information about what is available at a federal and state level. You will need to be a discerning reader but you should find enough information to give you an idea of what is available. Another invaluable resource are the financial aid departments of your local colleges; it is their job to know this information and they should be able to advise you about your options.